April 1981 – Cardigan Finished!
This is one of the bigger things I’ve made from these magazines and I think it turned out well. I was concerned about the size being off but after blocking the sizing was fine.
About the pattern:
This pattern uses a crossed double crochet stitch that I really like the look of. It makes the pieces in a way that reminds me of cutting fabric for a top. You make these separate pieces; the back, the left front, the right front and the two sleeves as a flat piece. The finishing instructions are: “Sew shoulder seams. Set in sleeves. Sew underarm and sleeve seams.”
This pattern assumes you have some garment construction experience.
How it went:
I didn’t have a lot of problems with this pattern but I did change a few things. It starts each piece with a chain row and that felt a little flimsy when I worked the crossed double crochet stitch into it. I took that out and did a single crochet foundation row instead and I think that made it a little easier to work into.
After I sewed in the sleeves and tried it on I realized that the sleeves were way too long so I took a chance and make a small cut on each of them and unraveled that row to take out 3 inches on each of them. Then I made a row of single crochets into the open loops to finish the sleeves. It worked pretty well but after blocking they’re still too long. I could have taken out another 3 inches on each side. If I made this again I’d measure my arm from the shoulder to just below my elbow and make them ¾ length sleeves.
Here's their photo and mine:
Next week I'll have the May choices ready!
4/22/2019 11:11:58 pm
The sweater looks great, Alana. Your alteration of sleeve length worked out really well, too.
4/23/2019 06:36:55 am
Leave a Reply.
I'm from Minnesota and have been crocheting since 2003. I inherited a box full of Workbasket Magazines from my mother-in-law and became obsessed with the vintage patterns.