The Angel won by four votes!
The pattern asks for Unger’s Arianne Gold and Silver yarn. Ravelry estimates this discontinued yarn to be sport weight.
At recent estate sale I found some Columbia Minerva Camelot to replace the gold with but I didn’t see any sport weight silver to go with it so my plan is to blend the silver Knit-Cro-Sheen with some perle cotton and see if that will work.
Here is the supply list:
The body, hair and part of the arms are done in gold. The head, collar, wings and hands are done in silver. I may do the head and hands in some other color of sport weight yarn instead of silver - that's the part where gauge will matter the most. The wings are worked over the wire so the gauge won't matter as much for that part. I can either make the collar bigger if the silver thread plus DMC is too small or I can try another color for that too.
Substitutes will need to be found for:
Next week I'll share some of the interesting ads from the 1980 issue and an update on how the Angel is going.
I'm from Minnesota and have been crocheting since 2003. I inherited a box full of Workbasket Magazines from my mother-in-law and became obsessed with the vintage patterns.