About the pattern:
The pattern is simple motif with four rounds and the place mat is a rectangle with six across and four down.
The pattern asks for these items:
Last week I said I'd use Panda Cotton but I after doing one motif I decided I liked the lacier look of the thread and I wasn’t sure I had enough of it to make a place mat. I’d planned on filling it out with #10 cotton thread but it wasn’t the right size to match the Panda Cotton. I ended up using all of my DMC #5 Perle Cotton in colors I had left over from other projects. Yay for stash-busting!
How it went:
It wasn’t difficult to make the pile of motifs and it was fun to rearrange them to get a look I liked. Tacking them together was not fun. It wasn’t particularly difficult but I didn’t enjoy it. I made two extra motifs just in case I didn’t like one and it was a good thing I did because as I was sewing them together I came across one where I completely missed a section.
Then there was the blocking. I don’t mind blocking but this required a lot of pins and you could really see how my sewing varied from motif to motif when it was done.
Overall this is a nice pattern but not one I really liked making. I can’t imagine sewing together 32 of these for the table runner.
Next week we’ll go way back in time. This weekend I’m taking a class at the American Swedish Institute on nalbinding. Nalbinding is a precursor to knitting and crocheting. It’s sometimes called Viking knitting. I’ll show you what I made and tell you a little more about it.
I'm from Minnesota and have been crocheting since 2003. I inherited a box full of Workbasket Magazines from my mother-in-law and became obsessed with the vintage patterns.